Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

touring mileage...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:14 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: touring mileage... Reply with quote

me and bod off this forum are planning a trip at the end of may over to france and germany.
were going hull to rotterdam and back the same way.
it leaves us about 8 days of pure riding Smile
what kind of mileage should i be budgeting for a day ?
i dont wanna go flat out riding all day long, i want a bit of sight seeing and a bit of exploring too.
we wanna see northern france, paris, champagne region, bit over into germany, nurburgring and finish for a night in the dam Razz

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hoping to so a trip next summer, all being well, and will have the Mrs on the back.

I wouldn't like to do much more than 200 a day, especially with a whinging wench sat behind me!

I reckon some days would have more miles squeezed in to them, just to make sure I don't go silly with the time schedule., but not too many, as it's the journey that we're doing it for.

But I haven't actually done it yet and we all know what happens to the best laid plans! Wink

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make some decent ground each day, I'd aim for 400 miles a day. If it's all about the journey, I'd aim for 250. Considering you can do 250 in about 4 hours if you're pressed for time, it leaves plenty of time.

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:42 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

we guessed at 250 ish a day aswell but we werent sure.
be a bit shit if we planned for 400 a day and ended riding till stupid oclock and missing all the good stuff.
thanks for your quick replies Smile

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:11 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a pillion, I tend to have a day with 500+ miles (to reach destination) and then try 2-3 days of 200 miles max. That way you can get to the interesting places, and you'll have time to look around.

If you are on motorways, then a 600 mile day usually ends up being 6am start 6pm finish (you eat lunch and stop for petrol, rests etc).

As said before about best laid plans, leave plenty of room for where the wind takes you. You may find on your 600 mile day that you stop after 100 miles because you see something you like.

From experience, if you put in 5 days with more than 500 miles a day, and you will feel very tired and like you need a holiday, you probably won't remember much either.

My idea of a road trip is meeting unusual people/situations, in interesting places, whilst surrounded by great landscapes. You can't do either easily when the mileage is high.

If you have a pillion, remember that it is not nearly as interesting for them. I wouldn't want to commit a pillion to more than 200 miles per day, be especially careful if they are not experienced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres no pillion involved, its just me and my mate plus 2 bikes Cool
im hoping to keep off the motorways, i want to see plenty of scenery and have a relaxing ride.
cant wait now Mr. Green

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the camp sites like in france in germany, do they allow bikes on the site or is it better to just find a bit of grass out in the sticks and camp for free in a field ?

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Boulogne to South Coast of France in 11.5 hrs last year (about 720 miles)

Unfortunately in a car doing 85-90 all the way with a couple of stops for fuel, I was completely fooked when we got there. On a Bike you'd have to be mad to attempt anythoing like that in one go I would've thought that 350 would be a comfortable max if the weather was on your side.

Mike Cool

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:56 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Claremont Ferrond road from Montpellier all the way to Calais (via Paris) is quick and the first third, very beautiful. I usually do Montpellier to London in a (long) day. Its perfectly possible, but I guess it depends if you are used to spending time in the sadle.

I would choose to do that everytime, as it gets you to the good stuff quickly. The road to Italy, round the coast is amazing.

If there are 2 of you, just see how you feel. I reckon a little struggle early on in a holiday is worth it to spend more time where you want to be. Though I enjoy the journey anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:36 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just looked up where montpellier is, thats a very long day! 760 miles worth.

were not going that far south, id like to but this trip were staying in northern france and germany mainly.

really love to do southern france next year tho.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:22 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend it. There are plenty of tourist offices there, I especially like the fact they mark places where its safe to swim in the rivers. Nothing beats jumping into a huge (cold) river somewhere in the Central Massif (mountains in the south middle of France). Definately worth a try.

Hope you have a good one whereever you end up. Smile

biggaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1