Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Windshield for Honda Rebel 500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:05 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Windshield for Honda Rebel 500 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently had a strenuous A2 Mod 2 training session with a local school.
The instructor took us on a dual carriageway and wound us up to 70mph. It was OK for him, he has a screen that is as high as the top of his helmet, but my Rebel has nothing above the headlight to protect me from the wind. I was never so pleased to see a 50mph speed limit sign appear!

I reckon I will have to fit some form of windshield, but which one? Pricewise they seem to vary from £25 to £225.

Has anyone actually fitted one to a Rebel. Was it good, or was it a waste of space. Any advice, based on experience would be most welcome.

Happy biking,

Tony Norton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:54 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even one of the little flyscreens mounted above the headlamp will keep a fair bit of windblast off your body. I've had them on other bikes although not on a cruiser.

I just put a very cheap (like £16) amazon one on my enfield to see how I like it before forking out for a better quality one and it does help. Plastic has cracked already but it'll hold out for a while longer and a good proof of concept.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet makes a big difference. I have a "retro style" helmet and it's terrible >60mph but the cheap Vcan I have for winter/bad weather is excellent at high speed - more streamlined, sorta spoiler on the back.

That being said, when I owned a Rebel I went with a Puig screen:

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshields-specific-for-non-round-headlights/new-generation-sport?&bike=28056&location_iso=GB

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little screens are waste of time and money IMO
they have a limited effect but thats all, at motorway speeds they're crap.
Just buy a handlebar mounted highway screen and deflector and once it's setup
you'll really notice a difference.

I bet 'Top of his helmet' is an exaggeration, you should never ride looking
through a screen but just over it.
I found the optimal position over many many hours of motorway riding
was having the top of the screen or deflector at a level between my chin and
the tip of my nose.

Helmet design may have some limited effect but a good screen setup
is better, I could cruise at REDACTED with my visor up.
Try doing that without a screen.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:33 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Screen for Rebel 500 Reply with quote

Hi Easy-X,

Thanks for your response.

I rate Puig, it was their crash bars I fitted to the Rebel. They did their job a couple of times when practicing for Mod 1.

Which colour option for the screen did you select? When in use, did you wish you had chosen one of the other 2? I would possibly go for clear because it looks as though either of the smoke options would partially obscure one's view of the front indicators. Would it?

Cheers
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:40 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Screen for Rebel 500 Reply with quote

WD Forte,

Thanks for the advice re screen height.

One can only guess at the possible REDACTED figure. Wink

Tony

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC I went for "dark smoke" but smoke or clear would be more practical.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:30 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to ride with an open face helmet at anything over 60, it needs a peak on it or they try to either lift up off your head, push painfully into your forehead or both. Old helmets had peaks for a reason.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Triumph Trident 660 and wear a Schuberth C3Pro helmet. I think that wind blast at 70mph is something you’d get used to with more time on the bike. As long as it’s clean airflow it’s not too bad. Following some cars I have learned that some of them have really dirty wake that is tiresome to ride in (Skoda Yeti is one).

In February I rode from Guildford to Newcastle and back in a day (616 miles) which entailed many hours at 70mph with no issues. The Trident does have a little fly screen on it but I’m under no illusions about how much it deflects; it mainly tidies up the appearance of the back of the instrument binnacle.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipee! someone else on here with a Rebel 500. Me and you are the only ones on this entire forum to have good taste Laughing

Mine came with a tiny screen that does nothing. I wouldn't mind a taller screen myself.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/385552359_266035999742136_4804523221661181417_n.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:57 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAY!

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
GAY!

OMG you're so judgmental and homophobic, how very dare you!

Alternatively.

Finally. When do we start saying "do you want assless chaps with that?" and mtfu, it's a bit of breeze ffs.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
GAY!

Any port in a storm.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 06 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking of test riding the Rebel 1100 myself.
maybe i have to much estrogen in my diet?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
im thinking of test riding the Rebel 1100 myself.
maybe i have to much estrogen in my diet?

Nah, estrogen just makes you feminine innit - more likely to culminate in a nice pastel lambretta so you can daintily step through without hitching up your skirt.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against anyone liking a bit of uphill gardening if that's what flicks your switch - I just can't fathom anyone finding the "hug me" riding position on a cruiser comfortable, and choosing that then complaining about getting blown (about) seems counterintuitive...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

its my stumpy legs sending me in the Rebel direction.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
its my stumpy legs sending me in the Rebel direction.

I'd rather go for platforms (goldfish, fake, in the heels - optional) or a pair of stilettos.

Or only ever stop next to a kerb.

You are aware that lowered saddles and mod links with dropped forks are a thing?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am. had to lower my current bike. its a lot of hassle to be honest.
id rather just go with a bike with lower seat height if i can.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm a teeny-weeny Cornish pisky (5'5") even I felt the Rebel a little cramped. Topped off by adding a tall screen I was Toy Town police (if you're old enough to remember CHiPs!)

There is the Kawasaki Eliminator out this year which has been generously described as a "pocket muscle cruiser" if you're after an alternative to the Rebel 500. Probably more practical than my Husky but I doubt it'd be half as fun.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned you all. You haven't got a clue about what's cool and good taste. There's nothing wrong with riding a girls chopper looking gay, but thankfully having a dark visor so no one can see you. Add a BMW jacket to the mix and all hell will break loose.

Actually the rebel is what it is, a honda inexpensive but well put together bike for A2 riders and me.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 10 May 2024    Post subject: Re: Windshield for Honda Rebel 500 Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

I recently had a strenuous A2 Mod 2 training session with a local school.
The instructor took us on a dual carriageway and wound us up to 70mph.

I've just had a thought about this...

Is this seriously the first time you've done 70 on a bike?

I'm curious as given the modern licensing structure it seems the majority have a spell on a 125, most of which should knock on 70 if they're in decent condition...

Nothing wrong with that - just seems strange these days - I wasn't in control of a bike that was even capable of 70 until after I passed my test (back then, I did the 50cc at 16 thing, took my test on a rented 100cc on a whim just after 18 and got my "ride what you want" card - I say card, it was paper, cards were yet to be introduced).

Edit:

I've done my due diligence / stalking now...

I assumed you were a youngun!

On whose recommendation are you doing so many test categories? Why did you not consider doing direct access A and foregoing all the fannying about on A1 and A2?

Personally, if I were looking to get my licence now I wouldn't even entertain anything other than a full A (not because big bikes, I have A and own nothing larger than a 250 and I'm just getting my very first 125 ready).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 10 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens on bikes and other akootreatments.

It's a bit hit and miss to get it perfect.

I have the standard screen on my S1000RR but an extended screen on my K1300.

One I live with no wind protection and stick my chin on the fuel filler cap.

The other I can fettle its angle of dangle using a motor.
The tilt mechanism tilts, that alters the height and the rake.

Both of those act independently to each other.

Screen at highest most fwd angle provides good wind protection but at autobahn speeds there's buffeting.
Due to dirty air off the top of the screen clatering the top of my hat.
If I schootch down a little, I find a calm zone. But it's not sustainable to hold that position for very long. Just to smoke a cigarette then back up into the hurricane.

I bought a thing to bolt on the top edge. Theoretically it 'trims' turbulent air and directs it over the top of ones noggins'.
Well... I fell off on its first outing. Bastad.

A massive screen will block wind.

But they are horrible in blustery weather.

And you can't see through them.

Buy a car.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1